Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras (CYSO) has provided music education through orchestral programs and performance opportunities of the highest caliber since 1946. CYSO currently serves more than 600 talented Chicago-area musicians ages 6-18 through four full orchestras, three string orchestras, multiple steel orchestras, a jazz orchestra, and enrichment programs including chamber music and composition. A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, CYSO is investing in the future of music and the next generation of leaders.
CYSO seeks a Community and Family Engagement Coordinator who will develop our community and pipeline development programs, working both externally with partner organizations and internally as a resource for all CYSO students The Community and Family Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for leading CYSO’s Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) initiatives, including our strategic partnerships with The People’s Music School, Merit School of Music, the Chicago High School for the Arts, and other Chicago arts organizations. This position will oversee CYSO’s free community engagement programs for public school students throughout the Chicago Metropolitan area. Key programs include: Ambassadors, Education Concerts, CYSO at CPS Ensemble Training Programs, and CYSO’s support for the newly launched Chicago Musical Pathways Initiative. The Community and Family Engagement Coordinator will report to the Director of Operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate all aspects of CYSO’s Community Engagement programs including overseeing Community Engagement expenses and assisting the senior staff in the annual budgeting process.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining the calendars for Ambassadors Chamber Groups school visits and audition masterclasses: scheduling dates with schools, selecting groups from the Chamber Program, and coordinating training for student groups, reserving rental vehicle, driving students to and from schools, hosting each concert.
- Coordinate partnership with Foundations of Music & International Music Foundation: scheduling five education concerts annually serving approximately 8,500 CPS students, collaborating with CYSO Operations team for concert venue needs, collecting repertoire from CYSO artistic staff, preparing conductors’ presentations.
- Responsible for CYSO at NTA, CYSO at Moos, and CYSO at Nixon neighborhood programs including developing curricula to meet the needs of each community, hiring & payment for sectional coaches and teaching artists, scheduling dates with coaches and schools, facilitating final presentations (coordinating dress rehearsals, performance space, and audience with each school) and evaluating student progress and program efficacy annually.
- Office hours every Saturday will be dedicated to family engagement for CYSO students, helping to steward and troubleshoot the musical development of students at every level of our organization.
- Serve as primary liaison for CYSO partnerships with the Chicago Music Pathways Initiative, Merit School of Music, The People’s Music School, and other initiatives focused on developing a strong pipeline of young instrumental musicians in Chicago.
- Lead program development for CYSO’s Chamber Orchestra program, comprised of members of Symphony Orchestra who engage with service learning and mentorship.
- Maintain frequent communication with teaching artists, school teachers, and principals throughout the season as well as renew our Professional Development Provider status as necessary with the Illinois State Board of Education.
- Work with the Director of Operations to develop new partnerships with local school and community music programs focused on introducing CPS instrumental music students to CYSO programs and artistic staff. Partnerships may include developing workshops, clinics, coaching sessions, or organizing concerts.
- Coordinate and host the CYSO Open House including developing day-of programming, advertising, organizing volunteers, set-up, and any other logistics related to the event.
- Throughout the year the Community and Family Engagement Coordinator will represent CYSO at various professional development opportunities for CPS Arts Partners, The League of American Orchestras, and the Chicago Consortium for Community Music Schools.
- Other as assigned.