The Chicago High School for the Arts (ChiArts ®) develops the next generation of artistically gifted, diverse scholar artists through intensive pre-professional training in the arts, combined with a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum. The school approaches the development of students through a whole-student approach and through a continuous learning environment for all staff to continuously develop their understanding of our scholar-artists. We strive to build upon, and improve our practices to make sure we are always serving all of our students to the best of our abilities.
The Chicago High School for the Arts seeks an instructor for a Digital Photography I course for the 2018-2019 school year in the Visual Arts department.
The Digital Photography I instructor supports the mission of the school by fostering a safe, healthy, and inspiring learning community for students and teachers. Digital Photography I (Freshman Studio Course) is a 3 hour studio class that takes place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2pm - 5pm.
This foundational course will provide a solid introduction to the medium of photography and its practice today. As students develop their visual skills and begin to "think in pictures," they will learn about the essential features of a digital camera and how to control them. Students will be given an overview of the technical aspects of resolution, file formats and workflow. The bulk of the class will concentrate on the practice of photography as an art form, emphasizing the organization, function, manipulation and communication of visual ideas. Students will use tools such as digital cameras, Apple computers, Adobe Photoshop software, Canon and Epson printers. Classes will be enriched by visits from practicing professional artists, field trips to galleries and an ongoing survey of the history of photography.
The ideal candidate will be a specialist in the field and will have the passion and skills to create a learning environment that will offer a rigorous pre-professional arts training that challenge students to achieve at high levels. Instructors at ChiArts will be required to differentiate instruction; design lesson and unit plans that properly assess student achievement and encourage skill development and critical thinking. The ultimate goal is to help ChiArts visual students build a portfolio of finished and polished work. Candidate should be well versed in traditional and contemporary approaches to art making.
- Embrace and promote the ChiArts vision, mission, educational approach, goals, and core values.
- Prepare structured lessons that encourage and foster skill development, critical thinking, applications, and ethics.
- Instruct conservatory level courses, serving students with various learning styles, abilities and needs.
- Employ outstanding classroom management skills and implement the school code of conduct.
- Regularly assess student achievement, skill mastery and career development skills.
- Submit unit plans on a timely basis.
- Manage classroom administration and record keeping including: grades, attendance records, student progress and documentation of student work.
- Manage studio material inventory and equipment: ordering and upkeep.
- Manage studio set up and break down of equipment and furniture.
- Document student work for digital portfolio files.
- Regularly communicate with students, parents and other ChiArts staff to share artistic progress, encourage positive behavior, and resolve behavioral and artistic issues.
- Attend and participate in faculty and administrative meetings, parent conferences, open house, other school functions, and in- service professional development sessions.
- Collaborate with the staff to develop “best practices” tailored to the unique philosophy and instructional approach of ChiArts and to the needs of its student population.
- Collaborate with other ChiArts artistic and academic faculty and the larger arts community.
- Perform other duties as the needs of the school and needs of the students may demand (e.g., competitions, exhibits.)
- Work with academic staff to ensure student’s overall success at ChiArts