(Begins Late August 2018)
Francis W. Parker School is a renowned JK-12th grade independent day school. Founded in 1901 on the tenets of progressive education, the school currently enrolls 940 students and employs 200 dedicated faculty and staff members who, in addition to assistant teachers, substitute teachers and coaches, work together to ensure that the School lives up to its Mission to “educate students to think and act with empathy, courage and clarity as responsible citizens and leaders in a democratic society and global community.”
We are currently seeking an experienced and engaging part-time Upper School Dance Teacher. The Upper School Dance Teacher provides beginning and advanced dance instruction to students in grades 9 through 12.
- Plan, prepare, and present dance lessons for all beginning and advanced-level courses.
- Explain and demonstrate techniques and methods of regulating movements of body to musical or rhythmic accompaniment.
- Choreograph, plan, rehearse, and direct students in dance performances.
- Select instructional materials and design assessments that are creative and appropriate.
- Modify instructional plans to meet the needs of varied dance learners.
- Maintain a clean and professional studio (including regularly assessing the safety and appropriateness of dance equipment) and performance atmosphere for dance instruction.
- Keep regular attendance and grade records in accordance with Upper School guidelines.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with students and parents regarding class expectations, as well as student progress and problems.
- Compose substantive mid-semester and end-of-term narrative grade reports for all dance students.
- Participate, as necessary, in parent conferences and school staffings on specific students.
- Actively attend and participate in school faculty meetings and professional development activities.
- Provide input and guidance to the Chair of the Performing Arts Department as well as the Upper School Division Head on the development and enhancement of dance instruction in the Upper School.
- Keep current on dance trends, research, and pedagogy.
- Engage in professional development and teaching that focuses on issues regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Perform other duties, such as student supervision and chaperoning, as assigned.
Commensurate with background and experience; this position is not eligible for benefits.
The faculty, staff and administration of Francis W. Parker School are integral parts of the School's community. Through their passion, dedication and commitment to the School's mission, they create and support an environment where exceptional child-centered learning can occur.
Francis W. Parker School is committed to cultivating a community of dedicated students, parents, faculty and staff, trustees, administrators and alumni, who acknowledge, respect, and esteem diversity in our school; and who reflect, through their presence, the diversity of Chicago communities and the wider world.
Francis W. Parker School is an equal opportunity employer.